28 May 2012

Smith-Corona Sterling with 6-Pitch Typeface!

I am back from some traveling and I have obtained two new typewriters and my Sterling which was out for repair. The Sterling was bought on Etsy and it was a low price. The seller noted it was not working (carriage wasn't advancing) and while discussing it, she mentioned that the typeface was larger than usual. I asked for more and found out it was 6 characters per inch. What a thing to leave out of the description!

I do not know what these were used for. It types well, although it is slower than normal due to the greater space needed for each character and line, but the width is not sufficient for much typing on each line. I used my Smith-Corona Silent for comparison, as it may be hard to tell in the scans by itself. It is similar to a regular Sterling except for the ruler and the fact it does not support bi-colour ribbons due to the height of the characters. The line spacing and escapement and all that are also specific to the spacing this needs.

Smith-Corona Sterling with 6 Pitch Typeface Smith-Corona Sterling with 6 Pitch Typeface, typeslugs

7 comments:

  1. Very nice typewriter. I love the typeface. These were used in broadcasting and for speech writers. The size was much easier to read. They seemed to be a bit more rare than the all caps mil or teletype machines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found my by chance and by contacting seller for more details on what I thought was a regular typewriter.

      Happy hunting!

      Delete
  2. That's cool. I really like to see all the variations in typeface!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that typeface is called "Speech-Riter No. 29". I have a '53 Silent-Super with a 6-pitch font that is not listed on my font lists. It's the large 6-pitch, but the typestyle is closer to the average Pica style than any of the sight-saver, primary-school or speechwriter fonts, as it has serifs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe I missed it in the text somewhere but what was the problem with the carriage advance? You seem to have got it working.

    ReplyDelete