22 May 2012

Typewriter Updates and Changes

It has been an exciting time for typewriter acquisition. I managed to find new homes for many of my machines and I have obtained several new typewriters. I am going to be away from home and my typewriters and computer for a few days starting this week, and I need to get a fresh ribbon for one machine I wish to show off here. Also, I just recently won something pretty cool.

I saw a Corona 3 on eBay, which is not that rare (there are always a bunch in various condition). This one is notable because it seems to be in good condition, no scratches or corrosion. The rubber does not look bad either, but one cannot judge that until one has it in person. However, why would I buy another Corona 3 when I am thinking of selling one of mine? Well, its case seems to be in better condition, and while it is missing the spools, it may work very well, but the real reason I bought it, and aggressively bid on it (although, nobody else ended up bidding, so I paid the minimum...what luck), is that is has something else with it that is desirable and hard to find. I would have paid what I paid for the whole transaction for this single thing. Yes, it is a "Rest" key. The floating pinky is a major problem for typing on a Corona 3, and perhaps this will allow me to use them more comfortably. I was waiting for days for this auction to end, and during that time, only I bid. I thought for sure somebody else would at least bid for the typewriter. I guess it pays (saves money?) to see detail like that. The "extra" key was immediately obvious to me in a low resolution image. Here are the two I have now: my first Corona 3 and my second, the Standard Folding Typewriter

Also, I have a Rooy Portable, but I need to get a ribbon for it.

I found a Smith-Corona Zephyr Deluxe in Elite. It is in every other way like my other one. "Pride Line" does not mean cursive it seems.

In other news, I am going to make a page or site about the Smith-Corona Skyriter. I have obtained all the variations I think, including the two Zephyr models, and a post-Skyriter design. I have a fleet of Skyriters, but I am beginning to build a fleet of Corona 3s as well. At least they are small.


  1. Nice Blog ! Thank you for your very nice articles. I look forward to visiting your site in the future!
    Methods of Modern Farming

  2. That's really funny - I like the "teatime pinky" of the corona 3 as my right pinky's tendon was severed 25 years ago and I don't like using it much.
    I can't wait to see a pic of the rest key, I'm having trouble picturing it.

    1. Horrible typewriter accident?

      The problem with the Corona 3 is that for touch typists, the hands automatically go to "home row" by touch, which means that the hand shifts over. It turns touch typists into keyboard starers. They type well otherwise, so this will be good.

      It looks like a Corona 3 key which says "Rest" on it, and it somehow attaches to the side. Here is a picture of one with such a key: http://www.vintagetypewritershoppe.com/catalog/item/3807439/7327113.htm

      The typewriter I bought, and the ones I have, have better looking keys than that one though. It doesn't move or do anything but sit there so touch typists don't type "tge" all the time.

    2. I am a touch typist, but my pinky has trouble with the P anyway, making me learn to reach for it with the next finger, so I adjusted readily to the corona 3. The Oliver, on the other hand, is giving me fits. Thanks for the link to the image.
      Not a typing-related injury - I was cutting open a bucket of shortening at a donut shop with a greasy knife.

    3. I was thinking that...I should have written "conventional touch typist". However, I have one quirk. I always use the left shift key, which happens to be convenient for typewriter use.

  3. I'm looking forward to you post on the Skyriters. I have 3 and they are all from mid to late 1950s and the one I have with the stripes which I though was pre-50 actually dates to 1958, newer than my grey case one from 1952.