31 October 2012

Children's Typewriters: Barely Typewriters

I picked this up a while back, as something to have in my collection. It is hardly useful, but it is interesting:


A Marxwriter, a children's typewriter. Children's typewriters existed since almost the beginning. Usually, they are index machines or three bank typewriters. This is odd, because one would think that a proper typewriter for children would be just as good as one for adults, so they may learn to use a typewriter which is perfectly sized for smaller hands and shorter arms. After all, we accommodate the learning process in other aspects. However, this is not the case. Children's typewriters are essentially the cheapest things which could be called "typewriters". They are not easy to type on. They do not really resemble real typewriters. They have minimal features and often they are mislabeled to look like real typewriters. For example, this Marxwriter has a "Fig" and "Cap" shift key, but they both do the same thing. It is only a single shift machine.

The mechanical operation of the typewriter is interesting though.

This does bring up the issue of children. Namely, that many essential skills, namely, typing, is not really something which children are ever properly taught. There are not many good keyboards for small hands. The skill of typing is extremely useful, and I would say it is more useful than cursive writing, yet, even to this day, people leave school hunting and pecking. It is a shame. We have the kids learn how to use primitive technology to draw letters before their nervous systems are ready for such precision, while we could be making strides with writing and reading by typing instead of focusing on how to put carbon on paper.

This typewriter is for sale...shipping costs only. It is light and should be cheap to send. Although it works, I do not think it is really useful.


  1. When I was 10 years old, I asked my mother to teach me how to type. We used her 1950s Remington Quiet-Riter portable, and I had no trouble typing on it whatsoever.

    Then again, I was an unusual child.

  2. Is this still for sale? My son is 8 and very interested in typewriters.

    1. It is still for sale. However, it is not what I would consider a functional typewriter although it does work. I have other typewriters available too.

      Please contact me by email at gaelicwolfling@gmail.com if you are interested in them or this one.